Customs Information

Zimbabwe - All


  • Inventory (listing serial numbers of electrical appliances)
  • Immigrants or returning residents after an absence of two years or more also require:
    • Declaration of Undertaking (Form C38)
    • Valued inventory in English
    • Passport
    • Residence or Work Permit
  • Returning residents after an absence of less than two year also require:
    • Immigrant's Declaration Form
    • Form 170
    • Proof of original export
    • Invoice/receipts of goods being imported since the goods will be applicable to duty


  • Resident / Work Permit / Letter of Employment must explain details of new contract in Zimbabwe.
  • Customs will inspect all shipments.
  • Immigrants and returning residents (after absence of two years of more) may be allowed to import used household goods and personal effects duty-free
  • All goods must have been in customer's possession prior to arrival
  • Goods imported must not be sold or disposed of within 12 months of date of entry
  • Diplomats are exempt from duties.
  • A Duty Exemption Letter from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs must be obtained for diplomatic shipments.


  • Immigrants or returning residents after an absence of two years or more:
  • Each family member over age 18 can import a motor vehicle duty and tax-free if owned by individual member for six months
  • Taxes on vehicle will depend on age, power, etc. (100% to 110% CIF).
  • If less than six months, all relevant documents will have to be produced to Customs, including import license
  • A returning resident absent for less than two years will not usually be allowed duty-free importation
  • Autos may not be sold or disposed of within 12 months of importation
  • Not more than two vehicles per family

Documents required:

  • Form C38 (MV)
  • Immigrants Declaration
  • Passport
  • Residence Permit
  • Original Registration Card
  • Change of Residence Certificate
  • Certificate of Ownership
  • Copy of Purchase Invoice
  • Import License if ownership of vehicle prior to importation is less than six months


  • Subject to import control
  • Application to import should be made with the Director of Veterinary Services

Documents Required:

  • Certificate of Vaccination
  • Zimbabwe Veterinary Health Certificate
  • Import License (from the Director of Veterinary Services)


  • Strict currency exchange control regulations apply in Zimbabwe, Zambia, and Malawi. No exports can be made without the approval of the local Reserve Bank. This body approves (or rejects) all applications for foreign currency to spend on shipping and destination services prior to dispatch.


  • Alcoholic beverages (2 L) and tobacco products (200)
  • Plants and seeds and animals (Agricultural Certificate and Phytosanitary Certificate are required from the Embassy)
  • Persons visiting Zimbabwe and Zimbabwean residents returning to their country, of at least 18 years, may import a maximum of 5 liters of alcoholic drink, of which no more than 2 liters can be spirits.
  • New items
  • Medication
  • Firearms and ammunitions (authorization from the territorial administration is required)
  • Precious metal
  • Antiques and works of art
  • Office equipment including computers, typewriters, fax machines, etc.


  • Weapons and ammunition (application to import must be made to the Secretary of Home Affairs)
  • Drugs
  • Pornographic material
  • Foreign soil
  • Forged documents and counterfeit money
  • Cultural artifacts and other objects of cultural importance
  • Henna
  • Palm tree and any products thereof