Customs Information

France - Diplomat


  • Passport
  • Original Visa, Residence and Work Permit (requirement may vary according to nationality)
  • Certificate of Change of Residence obtained from the French Consulate with Customer's signature indicating dates of stay abroad
  • Attestation de non-cession (signed original stating Customer has lived abroad for at least one year, has owned all items for more than six months, and that goods will not be sold for twelve months)
  • Proof of residence in France (Certificate of Residence, lease contract or utility bills)
  • Letter of professional transfer from employer indicating date of employment abroad
  • Valued inventory in French (valued in Euros) dated and signed by Customer -- three copies
  • Inventory must indicate contents of each carton
  • List all electrical items separately (purchase invoices required) must show brand name and serial number
  • Delivery address in France with access, floor, entry code if any
  • For shipments to Port of Montoir, France, a Customs Clearance Mandate Special may be required. 


  • Updated COVID-19 Information:
  • Used household goods duty-free if owned abroad for six months, if the owner is moving his principal residence to France, and the items arrive within one year from the arrival date reflected on the Change of Residence
  • Regulations are different if the Customer is establishing a secondary residence
  • If SECOND shipment anticipated, it must be stated at the time of the first importation
  • Inheritance:
    • Declaration from notary with inventory of goods, date of death, relationship & French Resident
    • The goods must be shipped within one year from date of death
  • Wedding presents:
    • Marriage Certificate and French Resident Permit
    • Goods must be shipped within one month of wedding
  • Students
    • Official attestation of attendance at school or university.  The scholar's goods must be shipped within one month from date of registration at school or university.


Foreign citizens are permitted to import a motor vehicle duty-free as personal effects provided the owner has been living abroad for more than one year and that the vehicle has been owned for six months prior to import.

A vehicle that is imported from outside of the European Union is required to undergo a series of tests performed by the UTAC ( at a cost of approx. Euro 1,600. Headlights and tires must also comply with European standards and customers must check in advance of shipping to determine any costs they will incur in having the vehicle meet those standards.

The following documents are required for Customs Clearance:

  • Purchase Invoice (original)
  • Original title showing owner's name and vehicle serial number (original)
  • Insurance Certificate from French insurer
  • Registration Card (original)
  • Plate numbers
  • Copy of Inventory/Packing List (showing year, make, model, engine size/horse power and registration numbers)

Following customs clearance Form "846A" will be issued permitting the owner to drive the vehicle for 4 months (provided the car is insured). This period is intended to register the vehicle and secure a French title.


  • Must be at least three months old
  • Subject to quarantine
  • Endangered species and exotic animals prohibited
  • Pets should be accompanied by their owner with vaccination card and certificate of good health


  • Alcohol must be inventoried separately with brand name, type, amount, number of bottles, and value (Import License or Liquor License may be required)
  • Tobacco products are allowed, but subject to duty or tax
  • New items (less than six months old) are subject to tax if arriving from EEC countries or tax and duties if coming from other countries and must be documented with sales invoices
  • Works of Art, oil paintings, sculptures, antiques, etc. should have Certificate of Authenticity
  • Video tapes, fax machines, telex machines and books will be held temporarily by customs until necessary authorization is obtained for each item


  • Paints, polishes, and cleaning solvents
  • Drugs and narcotics
  • Cigarettes and tobacco products
  • Live plants
  • Ivory, all animal skins
  • Pornographic material
  • Explosives & matches
  • Guns, weapons and ammunition are highly regulated, and require various registrations and certificates and have the authorization from the French Defense Ministry (provide make, caliber, serial number and purpose)
  • Some weapons strictly prohibited
  • Do not ship with household goods

France does not allow trucks to operate on weekends and holidays.  Weekend deliveries are not possible.