Customs Information

Netherlands - All


Used Household Goods and personal effects can be imported into The Netherlands duty free under the following circumstances:

  • The Customer has lived outside The Netherlands for at least 12 months (six months if previous residence was within the European Community)
  • The Customer is transferring their principal residence to the Netherlands
  • The goods have been used overseas for at least six-months prior to import
  • The goods are not sold or lent for at least 12-months after import
  • A special permit is required if the goods are being re-imported into The Netherlands within one year of export
  • If Customer is not staying in The Netherlands for a minimum of 12 months, a bond will have to be posted for duties and taxes
  • To read about Fumigation specifications on shipments importing to Netherlands, please click here.


Preparation and submission of documents should be made as early as possible. The following documents are required for Customs Clearance in the Netherlands:

  • Clear scanned copy of the photo page and Entry Stamp of the Passport
  • Copy of Work Contract or Statement from Employer showing that the customer is under contract to work in the Netherlands for at least 12-months
  • Residence Permit
  • Copy of the Lease or Purchase Contract for the customers new residence
  • Certified copy from the municipality in which the customer will live identifying that the customer is moving from another country and intends to take up residence – this certificate is known as the “Bewijs van voorgenomen vestiging komende vanuit het buitenland.”
  • Original Application Form for exemption of duties and taxes, completed and signed by the customer and including the customers Social Security number, known as the “Burgerservicenummer”. The application should include all intended shipments (including Motor Vehicles) as exemption is only granted once. A clearly written Inventory/Packing List (in Dutch or English), signed by the customer and showing the contents of all packages – “PBO” (Packed by Owner) and “Misc” (Miscellaneous) are not considered acceptable descriptions
  • All Shipping Documents must state the customers contact address and telephone number that are required for the Import Permit

IMPORTANT: The time needed to obtain the required Dutch import permit (exemption for Duties & Taxes) can take up to 3 weeks from the time received by Dutch Customs. Legislation allows the Customs Authorities to take up to 6 weeks to process. After receipt of the permit, actual customs clearance may take 1 to 2 working days.


Motor Vehicles can be imported duty free into The Netherlands provided the vehicle has been owned and used overseas for at least 6-months and has been included in the original application for exemption (see Documents required). The vehicle must not be sold or loaned for at least 12-months after import. The following is required:

  • Keys must be available
  • Original Registration Card and/or Title to the vehicle
  • Copy of Purchase Invoice
  • Keys must be available


Pets may be imported into the Netherlands. Customer will require a Health Certificate and Certificate of Rabies Vaccination.


The following are either restricted from import or will attract duty and taxes:

  • New items (less than six months old)
  • Alcohol and tobacco products
  • Foodstuff
  • Weapons and ammunition are subject to special license and registration documents issued by the Police


The following are prohibited from import into The Netherlands and must not be included in the shipment:

  • Drugs and narcotics
  • Explosives
  • Meat products
  • Goods and/or products protected by Threatened Animal and Plant Life (BUDEP)