Customs Information

Spain - Diplomat


  • Returning Spanish citizens with "Cancellation of Residence" can import duty-free if they have lived abroad for more than one year.  "Cancellation of Residence" is the only document customs accepts in order to clear items duty-free.
  • Owner of the goods must obtain Diplomatic Franchise from the Foreign Affairs Ministry, which takes approximately 2-3 weeks.
  • Household goods are duty free if meeting the following conditions:
    • Goods are owned and used by the owner of the goods for a minimum of 6 months
    • The shipment is imported into Spain within 12 months after owner of the goods arrival
    • The owner of the goods must have lived abroad for a minimum of 1 year


  • Original “Alte de Padron” (Registration form from local Town Hall)
  • Inventory/Packing List
  • Activated NIE (Spanish Tax number and registration)
  • Baja Consular (Confirmation from Spanish Consulate at origin stating that the individual has been living overseas for more than 12 months)
  • Photocopy of Passport
  • Power of Attorney (provided by Destination Agent)
  • Signed “Solicitud de Franquicia” (Duty Free Import Form provided by Destination Agent)
  • Application form for duty-free importation
  • Diplomatic Franchise (Diplomats)


  • Original Title
  • Valid Registration documents from origin
  • Copy of purchase invoice
  • Chassis and license plate numbers
  • The vehicle must have been owned by the customer for more than 6-months prior to cancellation of residence.


  • Dogs, cats, birds, etc. allowed with Health and Vaccination Certificate from a licensed veterinarian – validated by the Consulate at origin.
  • Additional restrictions may apply dependent upon the origin country.
  • Muzzles are required for dogs in some areas of Spain; check with agent for specific locations.
  • Pets must be identifiable through microchip or a tattoo.
  • Pets subject to examination by a Customs veterinarian.


  • Guns, Ammunition, and Antiques need a special permit.
  • Antiques (permit is required)
  • Large quantities of alcohol
  • Brand New Items
  • Fur coats may undergo Customs examination.
  • There are no limits on the amount of alcohol and tobacco imported from countries in the European Union; however, Customs is more likely to investigate if bringing more than the quantities indicated:
    • Cigarettes (800), cigarillos (400 or 3 g each), cigars (200), smoking tobacco (1 kg)
    • Spirits over 22% (10 L), spirits under 22% (20 L), Wine (90 L but no more than 60 L of sparkling wine), beer (110 L)
  • The following items may qualify for imported by persons 18 years and older within the limits indicated:
    • Cigarettes (200), cigarillos (100), cigars (50), smoking tobacco (250 g)
    • Alcohol exceeding 22% volume or un-denatured ethyl alcohol 80% volume and over (1 L), alcohol not exceeding 22% volume (2 L), still wine (4 L), beer (16 L)


  • Drugs and narcotics
  • Pornographic material
  • Perishable foodstuff
  • Pictures, sculptures, Persian carpets and other art items
  • Protected species and products made from them per the Washington Convention  (CITES), such as ivory, tortoise shells, coral, reptile skins, etc.