Customs Information

Canary Islands - All


Used household goods and personal effects are tax and duty free provided goods have been owned and used by the client for a minimum of six months and the client has resided outside of Spain for a period of at least 1 year. The items can not be sold lent or otherwise disposed of for a minimum of 1 year after importation. The items must correspond with the social and economic status of the client. The goods must be imported within one year of the client’s securing a Residence and/or Work Permit and NO LATER than three (3) months after the client’s arrival into in Spain. A special permit is necessary if the shipment is to arrive later. This will result in extra charges and subsequent delays in clearance. Only foreign citizens marrying Spanish citizens or foreigners living in Spain are allowed to import new items of a “reasonable amount.”
Shipments not properly documented will be assessed import duties and taxes at values determined by Spanish Customs Authorities and will be subject to lengthy delays and additional charges.

Customs clearance into the Canary Islands may vary from Spain.


  • Passport - original or notarized copy at origin
  • Residence /Work Permit – original, a bank guaranty is required if a Residence/Work Permit is not
    obtained. The shipment may be released with a deposit of a bank guaranty which must be canceled
    within one year
  • Numero de Identification de Extranjero (NIE) – notarized copy, obtained when applying for the
    Work/ Residence Permit as a non EU member
  • Certificate of Residence Change “Asunto Cambio Residencia” – provided by local city hall, stating
    client has resided abroad for a minimum of 12 consecutive months
  • Inscription “Alta de Padrón” – original, obtained at the municipal register
  • Registration at the Spanish Treasury Department “Hacienda”
  • Purchase/lease or rental agreement – notarized, stating a minimum of 2 years stay in Spain
  • Comprehensive Valued Inventory – 2 copies in Spanish, signed, dated by client: no “PBO”
    “MISC” terminology allowed
  • Customs Application - for duty free import of personal goods & effects
  • Bill of Lading/AWB or Express Release
  • Power of Attorney – provided by Destination Agent giving authority to arrange customs clearance
  • Declaration of Commitment – provided by Destination Agent
  • Letter from Employer – attesting to client’s length of stay, employment contract & position
  • Declaration of Client – attesting to length of stay

Further requirement for returning citizens:

  • Original Passport or notarized copy
  • Spanish Fiscal Identification Card (NIF)
  • Letter from Employer or Consulate Discharge document – attesting to residing outside of Spain for
    at least 12 months
  • Registration Certificate – obtained at city Hall upon arrival into Spain


Vehicles, including motorcycles & scooters must be in the client’s possession for at least 6 months prior to importation. For tax and duty free entry a period of six months must have passed between the vehicle’s title and the consulate discharge. Prior to importation consult with the Destination Agent to ensure vehicle will be able secure official Spanish authorization.

  • Certificate of Title and Registration - must be original
  • Commercial/Purchase Invoice – must be original
  • Passport – copy
  • Identification Card “Documento Nacional de Identidad”
  • Drivers License & International Insurance Policy (green card)
  • Liability Insurance – current policy at origin
  • Valid plates

Additional documents for permanent import

  • Change of Residence Certificate – for returning Spanish nationals
  • Residence Permit – for foreigners
  • Certificate of CIF value of vehicle in Spain


  • All liquor inside a shipment will be subject to duty and tax.


Quarantine is not required however all pets are subject to a physical examination upon arrival by a Customs Veterinarian. In some cities throughout Spain dogs are subject to an annual tax. Consult with your Destination Agent for the latest requirements. Prohibited: Pet birds arriving from Cambodia, China(People's Rep.), Indonesia, Japan, Korea (Rep.), Lao People's Dem. Rep., Pakistan, Thailand and Vietnam.

  • Certificate of Vaccination – notarized by the Consulate at origin, including rabies, dated 30 days to
    11 months prior to arrival
  • Health Certificate - notarized by the Consulate at origin, dated no more than 5 days prior to arrival
    by a Veterinarian


New Items, furniture, works of art, carpets, antiques, electrical appliances and any other items requiring special permits must be loaded near the container doors in the even a Customs Inspection is ordered. Purchase invoices for appliances may be necessary; client should be advised to hand-carry those with them.

  • Works of Art, Paintings & Antiques – duty free if shipped with HHG, require a Special Permit,
    antiques must be over 100 yrs old; these items must be clearly classified upon entry to allow for
    later exportation
  • New furniture – subject to tax & duties, requires an Import License if valued over 3,000 EUR,
    invoices must be stamped by Spanish Consulate at origin
  • Sport Guns - require a permit from the Spanish Police approved by the “Direccion General de la
    Guardia Civil” & valid Spanish Hunting License
  • Wedding Trousseaux – must provide Change of Residence issued at origin, a marriage certificate
    or Spanish family book authenticated by the Spanish Consulate at origin
  • New items (less than six months old)
  • Alcohol – wine; 2 liters per person, spirits; 1 liter per person
  • Tobacco Products –incur duty
  • Plants – require a Phytosanitary Certificate
  • Inheritance – all documents must be translated into Spanish & authenticated by the Spanish
    Consulate at origin:
    • Death Certificate
    • Testament confirming right to the inheritance
    • Certificate from origin country & Spanish Ministry of Finance confirming payment or
      confirming exemption of payment of inheritance tax


  • Narcotics/illegal drugs of any kind
  • Medication – medications can not go in cargo; must be hand carried on the plane or obtain a
    prescription from a Spanish physician
  • Pornography and subversive material
  • Explosives, ammunitions and weapons of any kind (sport guns allowed with permissions)
  • Cleaning fluids, paints and other toxic materials and/or chemicals