Customs Information

Chile - All


  • All shipments are subject to physical inspection by Customs and the Agricultural Office (SAG), which may delay clearance
  • If no exemptions can be applied for new items, household goods are generally assessed 6% duty over cost, insurance and freight (CIF) value, plus a surcharge of 50% on used goods. There is also a VAT of 19% over cost, insurance and freight (CIF)
  • The Customs valuation of household goods considers depreciation for use and must be comparable to the value of similar articles in the country of origin.
  • Repatriating citizens having lived abroad for at least 6 months with no more than 30 days stay in the Chile during that time may qualify for a tax exemption - up to 5,000 USD depending on the length of their stay abroad:
    • Between 6 and 12 months: 500 USD FOB
    • Between 1 and 5 years: 3,000 USD FOB
    • More than 5 years: 5,000 USD FOB
    • Only 1% of duty over cost, insurance and freight value is applied
  • Non-citizens with a temporary residence visa or visa are subject to employment for at least 1 year and may import up to USD 5,000 FOB of used household goods and personal effects without paying duties, only a nominal tax of 1% over cost, insurance and freight (CIF) value.
  • If the visa is still in process, with the Visa application, it is possible to clear under-bonded storage at the personal residence.
    • Definitive importation of the goods must be completed within 90 days. In exceptional cases it is possible to request an additional 30 days extension, showing visa application.
  • Diplomats and international officials are exempt from importation duties and taxes on household goods, in which case an exemption form is needed from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
  • All wood packing and wood items must comply with ISPM 15 standards.
  • If there is no previous treatment of wood items, the Agriculture Office may order a complete fumigation (wood furniture is not required to have previous fumigation).


  • Copy of passport
  • Non-citizen work visa valid for at least one year or visa application
  • Last Entrance to Chile stamped in the Passport
  • Original Bill of lading (OBL) / Copy of air waybill (AWB)
  • Typed Packing list
  • Valued inventory
  • Exemption form from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (diplomats)
  • Travel certificate showing inbound and outbound travel dates obtained in Chile (returning citizens)


  • The weight, freight amount of the household goods, including the vehicle must be listed on the original bill of lading. 
    • The number of pieces and a description of the car must also be included.
  • Import of new cars is allowed as a normal import paying all applicable duties and taxes.
  • Import of used motorcycles is strictly prohibited.
  • Import of Electric bikes is prohibited
  • Import of new electric bikes is allowed, all duties and taxes will apply.
  • Import of electric scooters are allowed as toys, only.
  • Import of used cars is strictly prohibited, except the following exceptions:
    • Returning citizens that have stayed abroad for over 18 month. During this period of time, the person must not have stayed in Chile, for more than 60 days.        
      • All duties and taxes apply (27%)
    • Foreign citizens may only import new vehicles. All corresponding customs duties and taxes are to be paid + any customs agent fees.
    • Foreign diplomats and international officials can import automobiles duty and tax free.
    • Chilean diplomats:
      • Have the option of a monetary compensation if they do not import a vehicle.
      • May import a new car as long as all duties and taxes are paid + any customs agent fees.

Required documents:

  • Sales Contract / commercial invoice
  • Certificate of title
  • Original bill of lading
  • Sworn declaration of the description of the vehicle
  • Other documents may be required based on destination.
  • Cars being shipped from US to Chile must have Fumigation Certificate


  • There is no quarantine period.
  • Pets may be retrieved from Customs immediately upon arrival, just when it is brought as unaccompanied traveler luggage.
  • Pets can also travel as cargo luggage.
  • Agent must know in advance the date and flight of arrival to assist in clearing.
  • Check with destination agent prior to shipping other types of pets as some may require additional permits from the Agricultural Office (SAG).

Required documents:

  • International Vaccination Certificate (dogs and cats)
  • Veterinary health record
  • Pro-forma invoice


  • Foodstuffs (only non-perishable food, canned or sealed, and in an amount limited for personal use may be imported)
  • Alcohol (adults over 18 years old may import 2.5 liters of alcohol duty free, including wine; if the amount exceeds 2.5 liters, the owner of the goods must pay duties and taxes of 27% or more)
  • Only sports firearms for hunting may be imported (a special permit must be obtained prior to shipping)


  • Drugs
  • Meat
  • Used motorcycles (new motorcycles are permitted)
  • Used cars (unless imported by a returning citizen given he/she meets the same conditions)
  • Used car tires