Chile - All
- Updated COVID-19 Information: https://www.sirva.com/company/covid-19
- All shipments are subject to physical inspection by Customs and the Agricultural Office (SAG), which may delay clearance
- If no exemptions can be applied for new items, household goods are generally assessed 6% duty over cost, insurance and freight (CIF) value, plus a surcharge of 50% on used goods. There is also a VAT of 19% over cost, insurance and freight (CIF)
- The Customs valuation of household goods considers depreciation for use and must be comparable to the value of similar articles in the country of origin.
- Repatriating citizens having lived abroad for at least 6 months with no more than 30 days stay in the Chile during that time may qualify for a tax exemption - up to 5,000 USD depending on the length of their stay abroad:
- Between 6 and 12 months: 500 USD FOB
- Between 1 and 5 years: 3,000 USD FOB
- More than 5 years: 5,000 USD FOB
- Only 1% of duty over cost, insurance and freight value is applied
- Non-citizens with a temporary residence visa or visa are subject to employment for at least 1 year and may import up to USD 5,000 FOB of used household goods and personal effects without paying duties, only a nominal tax of 1% over cost, insurance and freight (CIF) value.
- If the visa is still in process, with the Visa application, it is possible to clear under-bonded storage at the personal residence.
- Definitive importation of the goods must be completed within 90 days. In exceptional cases it is possible to request an additional 30 days extension, showing visa application.
- Diplomats and international officials are exempt from importation duties and taxes on household goods, in which case an exemption form is needed from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- All wood packing and wood items must comply with ISPM 15 standards.
- If there is no previous treatment of wood items, the Agriculture Office may order a complete fumigation (wood furniture is not required to have previous fumigation).
- Copy of passport
- Non-citizen work visa valid for at least one year or visa application
- Last Entrance to Chile stamped in the Passport
- Original Bill of lading (OBL) / Copy of air waybill (AWB)
- Typed Packing list
- Valued inventory
- Exemption form from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (diplomats)
- Travel certificate showing inbound and outbound travel dates obtained in Chile (returning citizens)
- The weight, freight amount of the household goods, including the vehicle must be listed on the original bill of lading.
- The number of pieces and a description of the car must also be included.
- Import of new cars is allowed as a normal import paying all applicable duties and taxes.
- Import of used motorcycles is strictly prohibited.
- Import of Electric bikes is prohibited
- Import of new electric bikes is allowed, all duties and taxes will apply.
- Import of electric scooters are allowed as toys, only.
- Import of used cars is strictly prohibited, except the following exceptions:
- Returning citizens that have stayed abroad for over 18 month. During this period of time, the person must not have stayed in Chile, for more than 60 days.
- All duties and taxes apply (27%)
- Foreign citizens may only import new vehicles. All corresponding customs duties and taxes are to be paid + any customs agent fees.
- Foreign diplomats and international officials can import automobiles duty and tax free.
- Chilean diplomats:
- Have the option of a monetary compensation if they do not import a vehicle.
- May import a new car as long as all duties and taxes are paid + any customs agent fees.
- Sales Contract / commercial invoice
- Certificate of title
- Original bill of lading
- Sworn declaration of the description of the vehicle
- Other documents may be required based on destination.
- Cars being shipped from US to Chile must have Fumigation Certificate
- There is no quarantine period.
- Pets may be retrieved from Customs immediately upon arrival, just when it is brought as unaccompanied traveler luggage.
- Pets can also travel as cargo luggage.
- Agent must know in advance the date and flight of arrival to assist in clearing.
- Check with destination agent prior to shipping other types of pets as some may require additional permits from the Agricultural Office (SAG).
- International Vaccination Certificate (dogs and cats)
- Veterinary health record
- Pro-forma invoice
- Foodstuffs (only non-perishable food, canned or sealed, and in an amount limited for personal use may be imported)
- Alcohol (adults over 18 years old may import 2.5 liters of alcohol duty free, including wine; if the amount exceeds 2.5 liters, the owner of the goods must pay duties and taxes of 27% or more)
- Only sports firearms for hunting may be imported (a special permit must be obtained prior to shipping)
- Used motorcycles (new motorcycles are permitted)
- Used cars (unless imported by a returning citizen given he/she meets the same conditions)
- Used car tires