Customs Information

Poland - All


  • Passport (copy with relevant pages including most recent entry stamp- for Customs clearance of personal effects as unaccompanied luggage by air, or including working visa - for Customs clearance of household goods by air or surface.)
  • Work Permit (original)
  • Work Certificate in Polish, from the employer in Poland, outlining the position from beginning to end of employment.  Also must confirm the legal status of the shipper.
  • Copy of companies registration documents (updated and notarized)
  • Three copies of the inventory (descriptive, showing contents of cartons, PBO - "Packed by Owner" not acceptable)
  • A numbered and "valued inventory", in Polish.  If customer prepared a valued insurance inventory this should also be faxed in advance (Foreigner)
  • Inventory must detail all electrical items with brand name and serial number.   Pre-1945 items and any artwork must be clearly marked on inventory and photos of those items must be supplied in duplicate for Customs processing.
  • Above items need to be loaded close to container doors for easy access.
  • A numbered and "valued inventory", in Polish prepared by returning Polish citizen to be submitted after arrival in Poland
  • A statement must accompany the inventory indicating that all items are the property of the Customer and all of them were used during stay abroad.  Inventory must be signed by owner.
  • Letter from Embassy and Certificate from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs at destination requesting clearance of the shipment and confirming the legal status of the customer (Diplomats)
  • A Bank Guarantee as the security for duty and VAT as calculated on the declared value of the possessions (Foreigners only except Diplomats)
  • Certificate of Residence in Poland (Zameldowanie) is required for both foreigner and returning Polish citizen
  • Customs clearance Power of Attorney in Polish in the name of the destination agent, signed by the Customer (air shipment).  In case of surface shipment the Power of Attorney must be notorized (in Poland).


  • Importation of Diplomat's household goods is free of duty/tax.   Articles not to be sold for three years from the date of Customs clearance
  • Importation of returning Polish citizen household goods is duty/tax free with proper Certificate from the Polish Consulate at origin.  Articles not to be sold for two years from the date of Customs clearance
  • Used household goods and personal effects may be duty-free if:
  • Citizens coming from non-European Union countries can import goods duty-free if they have been abroad for a 12 month period prior to re-entry and must present documents proving residence abroad for the entire 12 months.
  • The letter of employment must state the person is employed in Poland, the duration of employment and the specific start and end dates.
    • The employment period cannot be shorter than 12 months.
    • The document must be prepared on company letterhead, signed, and stamped by the person identified in the company’s officially registered documents.
  • The Letter of Employment from the owner of the goods’ previous employer must state the exact employment dates (minimum 12 months), that the owner of the goods has terminated his permanent stay in country of origin, and is now changing his permanent place of residence to Poland.
    • The document must be written in the official language of the origin country and a copy provided in Polish or translated into Polish by a sworn translator.
  • Items are re-exported (Foreigners only).  In case of non re-exportation the Customer must pay duty/tax or Customs may draw from the Bank Guarantee.
  • Generally Customer's presence is not required at Customs clearance in poland
  • Clearance in Poland must be carried our within 20 up to maximum 27 days of shipments arrical
  • Most shipments are inspected
  • If there is an air and surface shipment, both inventories must be declared at initial clearance (returning Polish citizen and Diplomats only).


  • The vehicle must be registered in the name of the current owner of the goods.
  • An owner of the goods may import only one of each type of a vehicle, trailer, or motorcycle.
  • The owner of the goods must have lived out of the European Union legally and continuously for at least 12 months.
  • The vehicle must have been used in the place of origin for at least 6 months.
  • After importation, the vehicle must continue to be used in the same manner.
  • In order to import duty and tax free, a person returning to Poland should submit proof to the Customs Office that they have both owned and operated the given vehicle they are importing for a minimum of 6 months.
  • Additionally, a vehicle imported into Poland cannot be sold, lent, rented, or used by another person (either free of charge or charged) for a period of 12 months following importation.
    • Infringement of this rule evokes a Customs charge on the vehicle in an amount based on the condition of the car, its value, and duties and tariff rates in force on the day the car was transferred.
  • Utility vehicles and company cars are not covered under the exemption.
  • If the car is imported from outside the European Union all duties and taxes must be paid.
  • Prior to import, it is advised to check with the local agent in Poland to obtain an estimate regarding possible duties and taxes.
  • A certificate of origin is needed in order to receive preferential treatment when Customs assessed duties.

Documents required:

  • Invoice / bill of sale
  • Proof of insurance
  • Original registration, or copy if original is not available
  • Signed valuation submitted by owner of the goods
  • Original vehicle documents proving ownership
  • Returning Polish citizen may bring only used car (at least 1 month) but it must be registered in USA before the Customer obtains a Certificate from the Polish Consulate.


  • Pet must be chipped or tattooed if arriving from a non-EU country.
  • The vaccination record must be issued at least 30 days prior to arrival and cannot be more than 9 months old.
  • Protected species cannot be imported.
  • The anti-rabies vaccination record must be issued at least 30 days prior to arrival, but no more than 9 months old if the pet is arriving from a non-EU country.
  • Declaration of pet’s value if the pet is arriving from a non-EU country.
  • The international health certificate must not be issued more than 10 days prior to arrival, in compliance with European Union standards if the pet is arriving from a non-EU country.

Documents Required:

  • Pet passport issued by a veterinarian
  • Copy of owner of the goods’ passport
  • Anti-rabies vaccination
  • Declaration of pet’s value
  • Copy of owner of the goods’ ticket as proof of residence
  • International health certificate


  • Documents Required

    • Detailed inventory
    • Certificate of antiquity
    • Two photographs for each item

    Specific Information

    • The certificate of antiquity must be from a recognized authority for items older than 100 years.
    • The two photographs for each item made prior to 1945.
    • Detailed inventory with a full description and quantity of each item.
    • When importing jewelry, paintings, antiques and carpets two photos of each item of value are required.
      • These pieces must be registered upon arrival in Poland.
    • Items over 100 years old may be exempt from duties and taxes if the proper documentation is produced.
    • Items that originate prior to 1945 should be clearly marked on the packing list upon import.
      • The items should also be packed so that it is readily available when the shipment proceeds through Customs.
    • All forms and documentation acquired during the import process may be required for future export.


  • Medications that are for personal use only
  • Plants:
    • Plants may be imported only if they are intended to be used in the shipper’s home in Poland.
    • Plants may only be imported from European Union countries
    • A phytosanitary certificate is not required.
  • Alcohol and Tobacco:
    • The allowance limit for the import of wine and spirits for personal consumption is indicated as follows:
  • Importing from Non-EU Country:
    • Alcohol not exceeding 22% alcohol (wine, beer, etc.) 2 liters
    • Spirits 1 liter
    • Tobacco 200 cigarettes, 50 cigars or 250 g tobacco
  • Importing from EU Country:
    • Wine 90 liters (but no more than 60 liters of sparkling wine)
    • Beer 110 liters
    • Other alcohol 10 liters
    • Tobacco 800 cigarettes, 200 cigars, or 1 kg tobacco


  • Food, fluids, alcohol
  • Chemicals
  • Inflammable materials
  • Weapons of all kinds
  • Pornography
  • Narcotics
  • Plants
  • Medications that are for personal use only
  • Toxic and radioactive materials
  • Protected animal species