Foreign nationals only coming to take up a Diplomatic post in New Zealand. It does not cover returning NZ residents who have held diplomatic posts overseas. They are classed as Returning NZ residents.
THE OWNER SHOULD BE IN THE COUNTRY AT THE TIME THE SHIPMENT ARRIVES OTHERWISE DELAYS TO CLEARANCES ARE LIKELY.
- Household goods (including furniture and electrical appliances) and personal effects can be imported free of Customs charges.
- Most shipments include items which require inspection by the Ministry of Primary Industries (MPI) ie Biosecurity. However, this requirement is only made known during the clearance procedure. Charges for this service will be for the Customer's account.
- All shipments of personal and household effects (and vehicles) are subject to payment of an Import Transaction fee (billed to customer). At this time, the transaction fee is NZD 50.38 plus GST.
- Following MPI inspection, fumigation, steam cleaning or other treatment of items may be required. Charges for this service will be for the Customer's account.
- Inventory stating contents of cartons in detail including the contents of any cartons packed by owner. Inventory descriptions such as "PBO" (packed by owner), "misc" (miscellaneous), “kitchenware” etc or any other such incomplete descriptions means the items are likely to be inspected for which the client will be charged.
- An alcohol, tobacco and medicines form will need to be filled out for each client to reduce the risk of delays on inbound shipments.
- Container Quarantine Declaration completed by the Origin Agent. New Zealand Container Quarantine declaration
- MPI (Biosecurity) supplementary declaration completed by the client at the time of packing their effects.
- Bill of Lading/Sea waybill/AWB (non negotiable preferred)
- Customs form B615 completed by Foreign Embassy/Consulate based in Australia. The form has to be sources from Customs by the Embassy/Consulate.
All cargo with containerized vehicles from the US have the following requirements
- and treated for potential stink bug infestations immediately prior to shipping
- Mandatory Pre-shipment fumigation of vehicles/cars and machinery into New Zealand is required. This is to protect against Brown Marmorated Stink Bugs over the 2018/2019 high risk season.
- If intended household effects shipment contains vehicles/cars and machinery from the below listed countries, a pre-shipment fumigation is required prior to loading/shipping, failing which, the entire shipment will require fumigation
- List of countries include: Austria, Bulgaria, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Liechtenstein, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Slovenia, Spain, Switzerland and USA.
- Please refer here for more information.
- by a certificate of efficacy outlining the treatment completed from a recognized and registered fumigation company
- must clearly state that the treatment has been undertaken as required for BMSB season.
- to on-arrival inspection as determined by the department
- Ensure the owner has the documents available on their arrival and that they are not packed with their household effects.
Australia allows the importation of live pigeons from approved countries, and household pet birds from New Zealand. The importation of all other live birds into Australia is currently prohibited.
Domestic dogs and cats can be imported from approved countries, however these are subject, with the exception from New Zealand, to importation permits. They will also be subjected to a specified quarantine period upon arrival in Australia. Direct importation of domestic dogs and cats from some nominated countries is totally prohibited.
Note – Customs and MPI (Biosecurity) regulations are subject to change at any time. The proceeding information is a brief summary of customs and quarantine regulations applicable to household goods shipments to New Zealand and is being provided for general guidance to assist our Agents and Customers. Since they are subject to change at short notice we cannot be held liable for any costs, damage, delays or other detrimental events resulting from non-compliance.
- Radio transmitting equipment may not comply with New Zealand radio frequency service
- Medicines of any kind must be declared. Prescribed medicines must be accompanied by a doctor's prescription and be carried in the original container.
- Firearms and ammunition strictly controlled and a Police Import Permit is required. Client must hold or obtain a New Zealand Firearms License before an Import Permit will be issued. They Must be packed separately, individually listed on the inventory ,and stowed at the front (door end) of the container for easy access. The shipper must contact the New Zealand Police Department upon arrival to obtain license and permits as New Zealand Customs will not give clearance of the firearms until documentation is received from the police which may hold up clearance/release of the entire shipment. Semi-automatic military type firearms are not allowed and restrictions may apply to other types or firearms.
- MPI (Biosecurity) regulations apply to the following items:
- Food of any kind
- Biological specimens
- Plants or animals (alive or dead) or their products
- Equipment used with animal
- Garden tools/implements, tents, vacuum cleaners, basket ware, bicycles, outdoor sports equipment, feather, fur, or skin products, etc.
- Bamboo, cane, or rattan, regardless of origin will usually be inspected and, if infested will be fumigated
- All wood (including wood packaging, crates, etc.) must be free of bark, insect and fungal attack and should be treated to comply with International standard ISPM15. Timber treatment certificate should be sent with documents when available
Please refer to the MPI brochure “Moving to New Zealand – What you need to know”
- All items of agricultural, animal, or food origin or use MUST be clearly identified and loaded for easy access for inspection. PLEASE NOTE: MPI Inspection will be added to clearance times with fumigation or treatment causing further delays.
- MPI inspection can take place at residence at time of delivery provided the residence is not in a rural area and has a hard surface (concrete or asphalt) driveway/area where a container can be placed for unloading. If the residence does not meet these criteria then effects will have to be unloaded at our approved store for inspection. All charges associated with inspections are for the customer’s account
- Canned or dried meat, spices, honey, dairy and egg products or bee keeping equipment.
- Flick knives, swordsticks, replica firearms and knuckledusters
- Semi-automatic firearms and certain other types of firearms
- Controlled Drugs (Prescribed medicine must be accompanied by a doctor's prescription and be carried in the original container)
- Pornographic or objectionable material (subject to seizure)
- Ornamental pipes (including Sheesha or Hookah pipes) and other cannabis or methamphetamine utensils
- All items manufactured from or originating from endangered wildlife must have a CITIES export permit issued by the appropriate authority in the country of origin. this includes ivory, shells & corals, feathers, reptiles, snakes, elephants, rhinos, hippos, members of the cat family, whales, dolphins, zebra, antelope, deer, and birds