- Original Bill of Lading (OBL) / Express Release / Air Waybill (AWB)
- Customs Passbook issued by the National Board of Revenue (NBR)
- Packing list / Detailed inventory
- Baggage Declaration Form, completed upon arrival and signed by Customs
- Inspection Order Form (IOF) / Inspection Information Form (IIF)
- Pro-forma Invoice
- Transfer of Residence Certificate (returning Bangladeshi)
- Letter of Employment (foreigners)
- Work Permit (foreigners)
- Tax Exemption Certificate from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Diplomats)
- A person is allowed to import 1 shipment a year against baggage declaration. This can either be by Air or Sea. They are entitled to import only 1 electronic item.
- Bangladeshi citizens and foreigners may import used household goods and personal effects into Bangladesh.
- Duty-free importation is allowed for Embassy, High Commission, United Nations, International Donor agencies and their employees.
- Foreigners, NGO employees and foreign investors must pay duties and taxes for household goods and personal effects.
- Bangladeshi citizens can import personal and household goods at a tax benefit of up to 80% on the assessable value. Citizens must stay abroad with no re-entry for 2 years to qualify for the tax benefit. The first 2 years receive a 40% benefit and 10% each subsequent year. Citizens must obtain a certificate from the Embassy / High Commission stating the period abroad.
- Bangladeshi citizens, foreigners, NGO staff members and foreign investors must complete a Baggage Declaration form within 20 days of arrival.
- Diplomatic personnel may obtain permission to import items duty-free from the Diplomatic Mission.
- Privileged persons (Diplomats, employees of a UN agency, some NGO employees, or employees of a foreign company having a contract with the Bangladesh government identifying them as such) must obtain a Customs Passbook from the shipper’s employer, who must apply for the Passbook upon the shipper’s arrival.
- The Customs Passbook is required for the duty-free entry and takes approximately 25-30 days to obtain.
- The shipper must be present for Customs clearance with the original Passport and OBL / Express Release.
- It takes approximately 5 business days to clear full container load (FCL) shipments and approximately 3 business days for air shipments.
- It is advised that FCL shipments arrive in the Dhaka Dry Port (ICD is recommended for FCL shipments with port of entry (POE) at Chittagong).
- All less-than-container loads (LCL) are recommended through POE Chittagong.
- Vehicles 3 years and older cannot be imported.
Documents required are the same as for household goods with the addition of:
- Purchase Invoice
- Ownership Certificate
The Veterinary Health Certificate must be issued within 7 days of import and must state that animal is free from rabies and other infectious diseases. Cats, dogs, birds and many other types of pets can be brought into Bangladesh without a quarantine period. Contact agent for additional information.
- Veterinary Certificate of Health (not more than seven days old)
- Rabies vaccination
- Prior permission from the Director of Live Stock from the Government of Bangladesh is required
- Letter of "no objection" from the Bangladesh government
- Firearms and ammunitions (permission is required from the Ministry of Home for dealers and the Ministry of Commerce for private citizens)
Vehicle parts (contact agent for specific information)
- Agar and pectin (permission from the Director of the Dugs Administration is required)
- Meat and bone meal (radioactivity-test reports from the origin country and a certificate stating the products are fit for consumption from fish, poultry or other animals is required. The radioactivity-test report must clearly indicate the level of CS-137 found in each kg of each item.)
- The following items may be imported duty free within the limits indicated:
- Cigarettes (200), cigars (50), tobacco (225 g)
- Alcohol (2 bottles)
Firearms and ammunition
- Pornographic materials
- Polypropylene bags
- Gambling instruments
- Maps and charts (contact agent for specific information)
- Poppy seeds and opium
- Frogs and frog parts
- Food grains
- Subversive literature
PREFFERED SHIPPING LINES
- Most major shipping lines operate to Bangladesh. Note to use a shipping line which can bring FCL shipments to ICD
- For Air Freight shipments, most airlines do operate to Dhaka