Ghana - All
- Copy of valid passport with entry visa, Original Passport may be needed at the time of clearance.
- Packing list
- Original bill of lading (OBL) - no express release / air waybill (AWB)
- Detailed valued inventory French, signed, and dated by the owner of the goods
- Letter from the employer stating that the client is starting a new contract in Ghana. Click for Sample AIR and Sample SEA shipment letters.
- PUBD form (personal unaccompanied baggage declaration) to be filled out at the airport of arrival
- Failure to do so will attract heavy penalties and delays in Customs clearance
- Invoice for the electrical and hi-fi appliances and for all the items bought less than 6 months before the shipment’s arrival
- Tax Identification Number
- Diplomatic shipments can be imported duty free, provided that the diplomatic organization has received the exemption certificate from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- To apply for this exemption, original documents are needed (including the original AWB) at least 14 days prior to arrival of the shipment.
- Agents must have all Customs documents at least 15 days prior to the shipment’s arrival to Ghana in order to obtain the document for free entry.
- “Diplomatic shipment” to be shown on the OBL / AWB.
- EXPORTS ONLY: Containers being exported out of Ghana will be opened at the port of export and examined. Because of this, many agents may not seal the containers at the residence. This new check-point has become a necessity as people are exporting red and rose wood and claim it as personal effects. The exporting of red and rose wood without a permit is illegal in Ghana.
- The OBL must show chassis number, engine number, cylindrical power, cubic capacity, year of manufacture, brand, and model of vehicle.
- This information must also be available on at least one of the official car documents provided (certificate of ownership, car title, car invoice, etc.).
- Cars up to 10 years can be imported in Ghana but will be taxed.
- Right hand drive vehicles are banned.
- Cylinder capacity below 1900 cc : 10% C.I.F. value (import duty).
- Cylinder capacity below 2500 cc : add V.A.T. of 10% C.I.G. value and import duty.
- Cylinder capacity over 2500 cc : add special tax of 17.5% CIF value = V.A.T. + import duty.
- Original registration card
- Copy of purchase invoice
- Certificate of ownership
- Non-sale certificate
- CUSTOMER'S PRESENCE IS REQUIRED FOR CLEARANCE
- Proof of inoculation from a registered veterinarian
- Quarantine required in a licensed kennel
- Import license issued after quarantine period is completed
- Firearms and ammunitions (authorization from the territorial administration is required)
- Alcohol (“Fond de Cave”) is acceptable and duty free (max 20 bottles)
- Rough or uncut diamonds (license from the Ministry of Finance required)
- Live plants and plant products (a permit from the Ministry of Agriculture is required)
- Poultry products (permission from the Ministries of Trade and Agriculture is required for certain countries); contact agent for specific information.
- Used refrigerator, used air conditioner, and used deep freezer regardless of owner of the goods’ status
- Firearms and ammunition are permitted subject to authorization from the territorial administration
- Unlawful drugs
- Foreign cigarettes without warning notice
- Mercuric medicated soap
- Toxic waste, contaminated goods
- Animals as well as plant and seeds infected with disease
- Foreign soil
- Pornography, defamatory, obscene articles or publications
- Dangerous weapons (including flick and paper knives)
- Alcohol and other spirits are allowed in reasonable quantity (maximum of 10 bottles. Duties will be levied for the excess)