Household goods and personal effects may be imported duty free into Belize if the owner of the goods can prove the following conditions.
- Owner of the goods must be present for customs clearance process.
- Household goods and personal effects must have been used for a minimum of one year
- Returning Belize nationals must be able to prove that they have been out of the country for at least one year.
- Household goods and personal effects must arrive within six months of owner's arrival
The following documents are required for import of household goods and personal effects into Belize:
- Residence Permit or Work Permit
- Inventory / Packing List
- QRP - Qualified Retired Person (details obtained from the destination agent)
- Autos are examined by Customs for valuation depending on their condition and year of manufacture
- Ownership papers required
- Duties applicable
- Boats require Import Permit (Permit is very difficult to obtain for boats made of wood)
- Autos imported from the USA should have a US Customs Investigation for Theft stamp
- Hams being imported into the country are not duty free and will require an extra 35% import tax before being granted admission. Turkeys have an extra 40% duty applied to them.
- All plant and plant products will require permission from the Belize Agricultural Health Authority (BAHA).
- Meat and meat based products being imported will also require permission from the BAHA before being granted admission.
- All cats and dogs being imported will require a special import permit from the Agriculture Department Belmopan. A general health certificate issued two weeks prior to your arrival is also required alongside a rabies vaccination certificate issued no less than a month before your visit begins.
- Restrictions are placed on the importation of wooden furniture included in household effects and require an import license from the Ministry of Trade prior to importation.
- Illegal drugs
- Guns, explosives and ammunition
- Knives and deadly weapons
- Plant and plant products
- Meat and meat products
- Milk and poultry products
- Hazardous material
- Counterfeit money and goods
- Pornographic material