Costa Rica - Diplomat
- Used household goods and personal effects are subject to import taxes and duties (30%-35% approximately).
- All shipments inspected
- Passport (include all pages) for all members of the family
- Rated Original Bill of Lading (B/L).
- Inventory (in Spanish or English) indicating value declared for customs and showing complete contents of cartons and the exact number of cartons in the liftvan or container
- Include brand name, serial #, model and price of the electronic equipment and electrical appliances
- Letter authorizing destination agent to clear shipment
- *NOTE: ALL DOCUMENTS MUST BE COMPLETED ORIGINALS. COSTS FOR ANY DELAYS DUE TO INCOMPLETE OR INCORRECT DOCUMENTS WILL BE CHARGED TO THE CUSTOMER
- Subject to high import taxes and duties
- Amount to be paid depends on the value, model, year, cubic centimeters and extras
- Documents required:
- Bill of Lading (B/L)
- Registration Card or Property Title
- Purchase Invoice or certificate
- *Originals required for all above documents
- If you are sending a vehicle to Costa Rica, a new law was passed as of June 7th, 2000 that all vehicles coming into Costa Rica must have a EPA Smog Test signed off by the Local Consulate from the country which the auto is being exported. Contact your destination agent for more information before sending a vehicle to Costa Rica.
- Government of Costa Rica prohibits the importation of used vehicles:
- That have been declared as total loss
- That present unauthorized structural joints on the chassis
- That have been manipulated at its identification number, VIN or chassis
- That have been withdrawn from circulation at the export country
- That do not comply with the general requirement for movement, established in subsection d) article 32, relative to the location of the steering Wheel
- must present a notarized affidavit stating that the vehicle is not under any of the cases mentioned in the preceding paragraphs and the amount of kilometers or miles traveled by it.
- Dogs and cats permitted
- Documents required:
- Anti-rabies vaccination
- Rabies Vaccinations MUST be at least 4 weeks old from the date off departure
- Health Certificate in Spanish or English issued by a veterinarian so authorized by the Competent Authority and endorsed by a Veterinary Services (VS) veterinarian.
- Exportation veterinary health certificate
- Invoice indicating value of animal
- Original and valid Import Health Requirements Form must be given to the AQD at port of entry, in the case of pets that will be transported like cargo or unaccompanied by the owner on the same flight.
- This form is not required if the owner can demonstrate that the pet arrived on their same flight as checked baggage. Shipper must visit the Ministry of Agriculture’s office located at the airport to prove this.
- New items are subject to very high duties and require an original receipt
- Large appliances must not exceed one of each item
- Computers subject to import regulations
- Purchase Invoice, Instruction Booklets, and original Ocean Bill of Lading/Air Waybill required
- Alcoholic beverages (milliliters of each bottle and percentage of alcohol needs to be indicated).
- Animal or agricultural products, plants, medicines and food.
- Suggest not to send food, medicines, vitamins. Special customs permits will be required, and this could about additional charges and delays on the delivery of the shipment.
- Please check with destination regarding the following restricted and/or prohibited items:
- Domestic refigerators
- Personal items: such as shampoo, cream, perfume
- Cleaning articles: such as disinfectant, soap, vanish, etc.
- Coins or stamps collections
- Small wickerwork - bamboo, rattan, wicker
- Swords & spears
- Bows & crossbows
- First aid kits
- Baby diapers and wet towels for babies
- Sanitary tampons & towels
- Narcotics and drugs
- Used tires
- Guns & ammunition
- Pornographic or subversive material
- Original pre-Columbian pieces or other archaeological pieces, including fossils
- Insecticide containing DDT
- Toys containing toluene and xylene, such as "Chinese Yoyo"
- Mini gelatins containing konjac fluorine additive INS 425
- Used underwear and used shoes
- used shoes and underwear should have a prior authorization